According to the UAE Disability Act, children of determination (special needs) cannot be refused access to education into any public or private school. While this law guarantees equal rights to education for children of special needs, many teachers and educators may lack training, and therefore feel unequipped to work with children of this population. Furthermore, using the term “special needs” as a catch-all label can lead to a lack of understanding of the various developmental, emotional and behavioral disorders, preventing educators from identifying the specific needs the child may have to reach their educational goals.
In this five-week course educators will learn about ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Learning Disorders, Impulse-Control Disorders and Emotional Disorders, from a clinical perspective. Additionally, educators will learn the differences between the classes of disorders, recognize the common symptoms, and how to manage these challenges in their own classrooms for successful inclusion.
After completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Examine the various developmental, behavioral and emotional disorders in childhood and adolescence that can impact children’s’ educational goals, from a diagnostic perspective
- Distinguish differences in diagnoses across different developmental, behavioral and emotional disorders by examining the various classes of disorders
- Identify symptoms across different mental and developmental disorders by examining student case examples
- Examine the diagnostic process required for each class of disorders
- Formulate strategies to create a more inclusive classroom
- Create a classroom culture that accommodates and collaborates with students, their families, SEN departments, and external support systems such as medical and psychological specialist services.
All school leaders, educators (including Learning Support Assistants), SENCO’s in Ras Al Khaimah and the United Arab Emirates will benefit from this course, as it would help them identify symptoms in students and determine the best accommodations and recommendations to best help children succeed in their education.
Mode of Delivery