This course is designed to address a critical need among Cycle 1 and Cycle 2 teachers, where students often lack foundational mathematics skills. Its primary aim is to equip educators with strategies and structures to identify and nurture these core skills, without disrupting the curriculum’s progression and further optimise lesson time for integrating these strategies effectively.
Strong mastery of mathematics skills in primary and middle school equips students with a solid foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving abilities. This proficiency not only fosters success in mathematics but also cultivates critical thinking and analytical skills applicable across various disciplines. The content of this endeavor therefore encompasses a comprehensive coverage of mathematical topics, interactive learning experiences, and opportunities to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios. By focusing on mastery rather than rote memorization, students develop the ability to think critically, solve complex problems, and make informed decisions, contributing to their academic and professional success.
This five-week course will therefore provide strategies for identifying specific foundational gaps across different age groups and develop comprehensive mathematical skills to support progression. Participants will discuss, and explore metacognition in math, self-directed learning, effective lesson delivery, curriculum integration, and tracking/remediation.
After completing this course, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding what ‘mastery of mathematics skills’ is and how students learn
- Identify specific foundational gaps in their classes, and establish intervention measures to support students’ progression
- Embed application of mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios
- Design lesson plans that incorporate learnt strategies (into actual weekly lessons), and share their learning with peers
- Leverage metacognition approaches to build foundational Math skills
Mode of Delivery
All educators in Ras Al Khaimah and across the United Arab Emirates